Des Moines, IA
The Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines (FHLB) is looking for a lead capital markets analyst to use their skills to lead execution of daily mortgage pricing, evaluate mortgage market trends, and perform analysis on mortgage loan risk and return metrics. As the lead analyst, you will assess the credit risk of the mortgage loan portfolio and identify credit risk trends that may impact projected profitability. As the lead analyst, you are responsible for conducting pre-trade investment modeling and analysis in Polypaths and reporting the estimated profitability before and after hedging expenses.
You will develop and test enhancements related to the mortgage pricing and recommend daily hedging transactions. As the lead analyst, you will monitor model projections and recommend adjustments when necessary. You will create committee reports for various committees and the board; presentation of reports and findings to committees is a key aspect of this position. In this role, you will perform balance sheet analysis and reporting on the bank’s mortgage and core portfolio, understand and communicate the drivers of change in the risk profile and how they impact the bank, and manage departmental internal controls and regulatory issues.
Qualified candidates will have:
- a master’s degree in a quantitative or computing field; CFAs are preferred
- the ability to write macros in Visual Basic, script queries in SQL; experience running PolyPaths and Yield Book is preferred
- 5 years of experience in financial analysis and reporting dealing with complex financial instruments, especially mortgages, derivatives, and balance sheet management
- at least 2 years of mortgage analytics experience
- an understanding of financial instruments with optionality
- a strong technical analysis background
- experience with mortgage and derivatives with capital markets
At FHLB, you will work with a talented, intelligent group of individuals. Employees work independently and collaborate as a team regularly. The capital markets team is collaborative and everyone pulls their own weight on team projects. The lead analyst reports to the manager of capital market analytics. The manager describes her management style as supportive. She defines goals then lets the team figure out how to get to the end result.