2014 CUES Directors Conference – Roundtable Discussion
Why is Board Succession Planning an important discussion topic?
• The average age of Directors is 63
• Retention is difficult
• It is important to find the best and brightest minds
• Thought and mission continuity – core philosophy
• Canadian regulators mandate succession
• Rigors of getting trained
• Financial literacy requirements and training
• Time commitments
• Committee vs. Education
Questions for discussion:
1. What do we hope to achieve with board succession planning?
2. What are our succession planning philosophy and policy? Is it tied with the strategic plan?
3. Who should lead the process? Who should be involved?
4. Who should be on our board? Why?
5. How would term limits enable/inhibit our ability to best serve our current and future membership?
6. Is board compensation something we should consider?